:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:03:22 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news snip

The local little shop would do far better if it had some quality
and/or differentiated product lines. People would go there for
that. As it is, it is clear that the business is in a slow decline
and the owner seems unwilling to make changes.

And why is it, if people bought form them perhaps they would stock

more...
As for the "business is in a slow decline", I'm nor surprised if no one

buys
for them !

The problem is not the quantity of stock - they have limited space -
but the profile of what they have.

They operate as though there is no competition for 50km and sell a
small subset of what can be obtained in any shed but at higher price
and typically poorer quality tat.

Yes, because their customer base is lower, but therir costs are the same if
1 person uses the shop or a 1000 use it, the fact that they have less
customers means that they *have* to charge more to those who either don't
worry about price or those who can't use a 'shed' for what ever reason.

snip

For the odd thing I can go to the shed. The only issue that I have
is that all the stores irritatingly have restricted Sunday opening
hours.

Very true, I really can't see why people object to the 24/7 society...