Andy Hall

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:04:16 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Doctor D" wrote in message
Agree totally with Andy.

But his point was really about location or stock level, not price as such...

I would love to use the local hardware shop - but can't afford to.

As an example I needed a 60 watt ES lamp, 99p each in the hardware shop!
£1.67 for 10 in Screwfix, 45p per 2 in Asda.

Have you asked the price in a (shock horror) electrical wholesalers /
factors ?...

I work on a quality, volume and price criterion.

If I am going to do a substantial electrical project, then I'll make
my list and go along to WF or Newey and Eyre and get a reasonable deal
on (for example) MK wiring accessories - I don't buy the cheap stuff.
If I want just one plate switch and I am not going in that direction,
then I'll probably get one from Focus etc. It'll probably cost £2
more, but I would have saved that in time and fuel and waiting to be
served.

The same goes for plumbing materials.

On timber I'm more selective, but buy sawn and plane and size it
myself anyway.

Multiply that by the fact that I'm working my way through re-furbishing

the
whole house and the money saved runs into thousands!

Have you asked for prices in a (shock horror) builders merchant etc. ?...

I also love the fact that I can get home in the evenings, have my tea,

then
place an order on the PC whilst the wife watches some old tosh on the TV!
The goods are delivered in a couple of days for me to get on with the

work!

Ah, now we get to the truth, you know the price of light bulbs in Asda
because you (or more likely your wife) has to go there so you can eat, and
ordering 'on-line' means that you don't have to get off your butt at the
weekend (or when ever)...

It's a matter of time and convenience. One could spend half of
Saturday trailing around wholesalers for bits and pieces. I don't
think it's worth it for small purchases. To me, time and convenience
is far more critical than saving the last penny.

I tend to plan my projects two or three weeks ahead and buy in the
items that I will need if I don't already have them. Most of that is
online from various sources or trips to the wholesalers at times that
I know they won't be busy.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl