Lobster

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Owain wrote:
I'd worry more about the gas than the electrics. I've seen better
soldering by blind heroin addicts.

Not too neat, is it?. But could still be perfectly safe.

And you know what? According to NPower, the whole setup *is* perfectly
safe....

I phone a corgi this morning, to come and shift the gas meter.
Corgi: "Sorry, no can do; everything upstream of and including the meter is
Transco's responsibility"

I get a nasty feeling coming on.

I phone Transco.

Transco drone "No, we don't do that, it's the responsibility of your gas
supplier"

The nasty feeling is definitely materialising...

I phone NPower and explain all the details of my extremely dangerous
installation which needs sorting out pronto.
NPower drone: "OK I'll pass on your details to the appropriate dept; they
will send you out a questionnaire; when you return that they'll send you a
quote..."
"Whoa! And how long is it likely to take until I get this sorted out"
Drone: "Usually 6-8 weeks"
"But I'm phoning to get this work done purely because it's a safety issue;
it needs doing now, not in two months!"
Drone: "Errrrrr just a minute..."
Shortly afterwards I am duly passed up the chain of command a bit.
Senior Drone: "Could you please explain the problem again?"
I do so, in all its gory detail.
Senior Drone: "Well it must be safe and OK because none of our agents have
ever reported it as being an issue"
"But the meter is practically touching the fuse box - they have to be 0.5m
apart doesn't it?"
Senior Drone: "Well it must be safe and OK because none of our agents have
ever reported it as being an issue"

Oh God...
1....2.....3.....4.....5.....6....

Senior Drone: "However, if you prefer a CORGI-registered engineer could do
the work for you, if it only needs moving less than 1 metre..."
"But.... but..... but...."
Senior Drone: ".... Transco changed the rules about 6 weeks ago"
"So how do I convince my local Corgi guy about that?"
Senior Drone: "Oh you'll need to phone Transco...".

click....

Unbelievable.
What do you do? I feel like sending a photo of the installation to Transco
by recorded delivery, holding them liable for the safety of the residents,
but providing I can convince my corgi to just go in and do the job, I don't
think I can be bothered. :-(

David