Lobster

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Lobster" wrote in message

Yup, I realised! OK, after a protracted session of Noddy does HTML,

please
have a look at http://tinyurl.com/67ggt where I've done my best. Any

advice
appreciated (and I don't mean 'rip it out and start again'; I think that
goes without saying! It's the earthing question I'm most concerned

about.)

WOW WEEEEEE !!!!!! Rip it out and start again mate!!! If you have an
electrical fire at the consumer unit (God Forbid), or a lightning strike

the power supply outside, you won't know anything about it. It would be
over for you by the time you got out your seat.

Yeah, cool isn't it! Have no fear, 'rip out' is definitely the plan...!

You'll also need a sixteen millimetre (16mm) sq' Green / Yellow from the
earthing bar of the consumer unit to the main supply cable of the

electrical
service headend, which is under the black main fuse block, and properly
clamped to the outer braiding of the supply cable.

This bit was really the reason for my post, cos I'm not clear about the main
'supply' earth. The other issues I'm Ok with. So I take it that it's
possible to confirm that mine is definitely a TN-S system (he says, having
just looked at the FAQ again!)? If I scrape away the black crap which seems
to cover the electrical service headend, I should find braid there, then?
(As you'll appreciate, this is well-nigh impossible to get at to even check,
right now).

By the look of it you'll have to, and I mean have to, move either the gas
meter or the electrics to one side of the cupboard, and leave the other
service supply at the other side. This looks to be the only way you're
going to get the 500mm spacing between them in the area you've got to work
in.

Yes, fortunately the cupboard is L-shaped (goes round the corner to the
right), so it will be quite easy to get the gas meter moved round there.

Thanks for the reply
David