BigWallop

"Lobster" wrote in message
"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

Best I can do is point my digital camera round the back of the gas
meter and then examine the pictures!

If you would...

In case that was too obscure, what Christian is saying is that it would
help us enormously if you could take a few shots of the installation (an
overview and one or two closeups perhaps), stick them up on a website
somewhere and then post the link in this thread.

Yup, I realised! OK, after a protracted session of Noddy does HTML,

please
have a look at http://tinyurl.com/67ggt where I've done my best. Any

advice
appreciated (and I don't mean 'rip it out and start again'; I think that
goes without saying! It's the earthing question I'm most concerned

about.)

Thanks a lot
David

WOW WEEEEEE !!!!!! Rip it out and start again mate!!! If you have an
electrical fire at the consumer unit (God Forbid), or a lightning strike to
the power supply outside, you won't know anything about it. It would be
over for you by the time you got out your seat.

You now need at least a 10mm sq' Green / Yellow sleeved conductor from the
consumer side of both the water and gas supplies, and that means even over
the short distances you have between the gas and electrical service in the
cupboard. These two leads can be connected to a separate block beside the
consumer unit and then one other lead directly from the block to your
consumer unit earthing bar.

You'll also need a sixteen millimetre (16mm) sq' Green / Yellow from the
earthing bar of the consumer unit to the main supply cable of the electrical
service headend, which is under the black main fuse block, and properly
clamped to the outer braiding of the supply cable.

For one thing, the electrical supply should be at a minimum of 500mm spacing
away from any gas supply equipment, and vice versa of course. Next, the gas
and electrical supplies should be fully accessible in case of emergency.

The last thing to have been installed inside that cupboard was the gas
meter, and it sure weren't fitted by a CORGI engineer. The soldering gives
that show away, unless that is, the engineer was going in blind like you had
to with the camera.

By the look of it you'll have to, and I mean have to, move either the gas
meter or the electrics to one side of the cupboard, and leave the other
service supply at the other side. This looks to be the only way you're
going to get the 500mm spacing between them in the area you've got to work
in.

Rip it out and start again mate. For your own safety.