Lobster

Default What earthing system do (should!) I have?

I'm doing some renovating work an old house at the mo, and have turned my
attention to the electrics... Today I've been endeavouring to check the
various earth cables and bonding arrangements. I've found two old green
6mm(?) earth lead which emerge from the plaster adjacent to the (ancient)
fusebox and connect to a terminal block, from which I'd expect to find at
least one wire heading for the fusebox, and another heading for the house
earth, whatever that is. But as far as I can see(*), nothing; so presumably
there's no earthing in the house at all. All I can find is a small,
uninsulated, twisted wire dangling down from the terminal block, with an eye
in one end, which once upon a time will have been connected somewhere I
suppose.

This lot clearly needs some work to sort out; but I am confused about what
earthing provision there _should_ be. I've read the FAQ again, but am not
clear how I find out what sort of earthing system I have, or should have.
Is it up to the electric co to provide one, ie can I whinge at them? Or do
I need to fit an earthing rod? If so, where do you put them - this is a
solid floor house, and the front (which is where the meters are) is directly
on to the pavement.

Thanks for any pointers.

David

*It's incredibly difficult to see anything; some knobhead has installed the
gas meter directly in front of the electric meter and board (presumably too
close for regs); and then somebody else, equally cerebrally-challenged, has
built a large fitted cupboard enclosing the whole lot, in the corner of the
room. Best I can do is point my digital camera round the back of the gas
meter and then examine the pictures!