Andy Hall

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:32:27 -0000, "Frank Stacey"
wrote:

For various reasons I find that a plumbing job on which I have embarked
involves using plastic (HEP) pipe for various awkward runs with copper at
either end. Am I right to assume this can be done without restriction?

In some places I am using straight metal compression couplers between copper
and plastic with an insert in the plastic pipe. In other places I have
plastic elbows with plastic on one branch and copper or chrome plated copper
on the other. Are there any gotchas I should know about?

Check with the manufacturers, but generally push fit fittings for
plastic are OK with copper, but not with chrome plated copper where
they are apparently prone to slide off.

If you have to use chrome plated pipe, then it is better to transition
via a compression fitting and short length of plain copper tube to the
push fit fitting.

It's also important to follow the manufacturer's recommendation and
use a proper pipe cutter for the plastic and not a hack saw.

Excuse the paranoia, but once completed most of this stuff is going to be
under the floor of a small bathroom and very inaccessible. I dread having
to rip out my carefully installed fittings as water seeps through the
ceiling below!!

Frank [the tentative plumber]

--

..andy