mich

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"fred" wrote in message ...
Don't know if this is just Scotland (seems to be where all the 'best'
ideas
are tried out), but B&Q up here has started charging for carrier bags.

I had a little chat with the manager who informed me that it was them
doing their little bit to save the environment:

* By encouraging customers to re-use carrier bags

* By charging over cost price for the bags and donating profits to
environmental schemes

* By acting ahead of proposed legislation to apply penalty taxes to the
sale of carrier bags

I replied that:

* I do re-use carrier bags, to dispose of rubbish, saving the cost/waste
of
binbags, and to scoop up dog poop that kind owners fail to clear up next
my house, but that I object to paying at a rate of 5p per poop for the
privilege.

* If I wish to make a donation to environmental charities, I know where

find them.

* I'll be happy to lobby my elected rep when the introduction of penalty
taxes for carrier bags is debated in parliament, until then please don't
try to
second guess proposed legislation.

I decided I didn't really need the bits & pieces I had collected and

left
them
for the manager to re-stack on the shelves. I certainly didn't need the

2
large hanks of wire wool that were in the basket getting soaked in the
rain
on the way to the car.

Anyone else effected, unimpressed or disinterested?

I'm not impressed with your response. We always carry Bags for Life

carriers
with me when we go shopping. They cost 10p each and have lasted a very

long
time. We sometimes also carry cloth bags, they're suitable for loose
vegetables with soil sticking to them.

They're all suitable for bits and pieces from shed shelves, even wire

wool.

I am not impressed by such ecological friendly responses. And I dont believe
them either ( I go round too many supermarkets and DIY stores to be told
differently.)

getting soap box out and climbing on it

This issue really bugs me and so do the goody goodies who keep telling us to
re use carriers.

I am old enough to remember when my mother used to take a SHOPPING BAG with
her when she went shopping anywhere. When I was young, I too had one. I
had several in fact over the years, a string one which would rollup in your
pocket, a fold up one and proper giant job which would carry Mary Poppins
wardrobe in it! They lasted for years and years, were strong and carried
huge amounts if you got a big sized one.

I stopped using them - or rather I was STOPPED from using it by stores and
store detectives because every time I went into a store with my bag they
eyed me up with suspicion.
So NOW I REQUIRE THEM to provide me with a carrier FREE OF CHARGE EVERY
VISIT!!!!!

They created the situation. They need to find another way of solving it -
dont put it back onto me and dont charge me for a situation they created.

putting soap box away