T i m

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:33:37 GMT, fred wrote:

* By acting ahead of proposed legislation to apply penalty taxes to the
sale of carrier bags

I replied that:

* I do re-use carrier bags, to dispose of rubbish, saving the cost/waste of
binbags,

As do we, even giving our surplus to our mate who runs a local cycle
shop. Lot's of folk don't recycle them though .. judging by the number
that land in my front garden?

* If I wish to make a donation to environmental charities, I know where to
find them.

Better they do that than just *pocket* the difference eh Fred? And if
you take your own or 'lifetime' bags you aren't forced to contribute
anything to anyone?

* I'll be happy to lobby my elected rep when the introduction of penalty
taxes for carrier bags is debated in parliament, until then please don't try to
second guess proposed legislation.

I wouldn't be bother to lobby anyone re carrier bags Fred .. not while
folk are being stabbed on the street?

I decided I didn't really need the bits & pieces I had collected and left them
for the manager to re-stack on the shelves.

Ok, as long as you walked there .... otherwise the wasted fuel would
have cost more than a fistfull of bags and worse for the environment?

I certainly didn't need the 2
large hanks of wire wool that were in the basket getting soaked in the rain
on the way to the car.

Doh! Might have been worth the 5p then?

Anyone else effected, unimpressed or disinterested?

I nearly said 'disinterested' but you genuinly seemed like you wanted
some replies. I might be effected as I am a shopper but the solution
is fairly easy .. we do what our parents have always done and go
shopping with a shopping bag or two! I often have a carrier bag (or
more) in my jacket pockets and there are always a few in each of the
cars / bikes / cycles if we are out and decide to buy something. If
shopping for bits I often just fill my pockets (at the checkout that
is g), saves leaving the bag somewhere!

We also have a sign on the front door saying 'No free papers'. Enough
still come through for the odd job that neads some, but it saves
having to fill up the recycling box with unread (nor wanted) free
papers?

We also subscribe to MPS ( http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/ ) and
that means even less paper to recycle (stopping it a source).

All the best Fred ..

T i m