in2minds

But if the joists in my house are ok then a carpenter could do as NT
says? -
add a strip of wood to the lower side to raise it, progressively
adding
thinner strips as you come away from the lower part of the room as the
room
levels off, relay floorboards, which seemed mostly ok before I put new
carpet down (damn), if necessary replacing the skirting boards with
new
ones?

Would replacing the skirting boards necessitate any replastering?

Have I got the gist of NT's post and am I right in thinking that this
is the
/best/ case scenario? Otherwise it sounds like I'm in a lot of ****.

best thing you can do now is pull up a couple of floor boards, take a
look at the condition and possible cause and report back...

when I started (before I lifted the floor boards) I was expecting to lap
new joists to the old, coach bolts with star washers between, to level
the floor and strengthen the old joists in the process... how optimistic
was I ? (c;

LJ