mnterpfan

tzipple wrote in message ...
I am about to buy my first bandsaw. I think that a 14" saw with a riser
will be big enough. I have narrowed the choice to 2 quite different
machines. The Jet 710115K, at $599 seems to be a good balance of price
and quality. The Powermatic is also a great machine, but is more
expensive at $899.

Not as a purchase decision, but get Louis Iturra's catalog. Aside from
being a catalog, it is very informative about 14" bandsaws. I think
that the email is . The book is very skewed toward Delta
but pertinent to any brand.

Also, look into Mark Duginske's Band Saw Handbook.

I have just completed rebuilding an old Delta/Rockwell and found both
of these sources very handy.

Good luck.

Eric

ps. Don't assume that the saw you buy is tuned up and ready to go out
of the box. You will need to fine tune it. There is lots of good
advice in the books and on this forum. The latest Fine Woodworking
magazine has an article (I am citing heresay. I haven't picked it up
yet) about bandsaw tuning that is different from conventional process.