Bob

"tzipple" wrote in message
I am about to buy my first bandsaw. I think that a 14" saw with a riser
will be big enough. I have narrowed the choice to 2 quite different
machines. The Jet 710115K, at $599 seems to be a good balance of price
and quality. The Powermatic is also a great machine, but is more
expensive at $899.

However, the Powermatic comes with a good fence, miter, lamp, Carter
Quick-Tension release, dual bearing blade guides, etc. Just the fence,
miter, and lamp would add about $135 to the price, making the price
difference between the two saws "only" $165. But that seems like a
reasonable price to pay for the added features like the better blade
guide, somewhat more powerful motor, etc.

The Powermatic also has a larger motor and the wheels are much more
substantial. I think the price difference largely represents fair price for
significant additional value.

Bob