Chris Lewis

According to John Grabowski :
Here in New Jersey on a single family residence the 30' of wire does not
have to be in conduit, but it must be protected by a circuit breaker or
fused switch located just below the meter. On larger services for
commercial or industrial buildings it would have to be in conduit encased by
2" of concrete all around.

Here in Canada, ordinary NMD is perfectly code-acceptable for this, but, yup,
you MUST have a breaker/fuse box within 5' of the cable entering the
house.

[There are _occasionally_ variations allowed, but you have to get prior
permission from the inspector.]

If aluminum is installed correctly you shouldn't have any problems for a
long time, but copper is still a better choice.

Given costs that I last saw for wire this size, 30' would be about the most
I'd go with copper before I'd consider using Al.

There is no reason to use conduit unless you anticipate the cable becoming
subject to abuse.

Same here.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est