John Smith

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
We are about to install several new circuits as we upgrade the
electrical systems in this very old house.

- For "normal" rooms (i.e. not kitchen, bathroom, garage, workshop, or
outdoors), should one go with standard 15A circuits or should one
put in 20A "just in case"?

- Even if you just put in 15A breakers and receptacles now, does it
pay to pull through #12 wire just in case you ever later want to
upgrade?

- How big is the difference in price for wiring (per foot) and for
circuit breakers?

We use #12 wire everywhere for both 15A and 20A circuits.

For those loads which truly require a 20A circuit, they get a 20A breaker
and most of the time these wiring runs are reasonably short.

For all other non-specialized wiring we install #20 / 15A combo as a safety
precaution.

All bedrooms get 15A arc-fault type breakers.