w_tom

Running a service wire that far inside the building means it
must be in conduit. You have no choice. More important
question is how big a conduit must be so that you can run
those cables. Other important factors - don't drive holes
through structural supporting members (ie joists) for a
conduit that large. Many utilities have specific requirements
on everything from size of conduit to what kind of cutoff box
is permitted. But then if you have first consulted the
electric company, then these facts, unique requirements
demanded by each utility, were already provided.

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote:
We are about to upgrade our panel from 100A to 200A.
The run from the electric company drop to the panel is about 15 ft
vertical drop followed by 30 feet horizontal run within the house.

- Other than the fact that copper costs much more than aluminum, what
are the pros/cons of copper vs. aluminum?

- Is copper worth the added cost?

- Also, the supply will run through the unfinished utility portion of
the basement at joist level. Is it worth it to encase the cable in
metal (or pvc) conduit?