Pat Coghlan

Do you have two phone #s, one for each line?

All 4-wire phone cables can handle two lines. The first line (R/G) goes
to the inside pins of the RJ-11 jack. The second line (B/Y) goes to the
next outside pins on the RJ-11. Of course, unless you have a multi-line
phone, the B/Y wires need to be connected to the inside pins on the "2nd
line" jack for a standard phone to work.

DSL can run either on an existing line (requires filters), or it could
be on it's own line.

You should draw a picture for yourself showing what service is on what
line before you start, but adding another extension to an existing phone
line is a simple do-it-yourself project.

Barry wrote:
My current setup is as follows:

I have 2 lines coming into the home. There are 2 jacks in the
bedroom, 1 for each line. Jack 1 (line 1) has the red and green wires
attached to the screws. The yellow and black wires seem to be
connected to the back of jack 2 (line 2). Jack 2 has the red and
green attached to the screws. Jack 1 is connected by a cable to the
main box in the closet.

I also have a jack 3 (with line 2) at my computer. That jack is
attached to a separate cable than Jack 1 is attached to and starts
from the same box in the closet as Jack 1 starts. My ADSL connection
is attached to jack 3.

What I want to do, without having to pay $200 for the telco to do it,
is have a jack 4 at my computer with line 1. I opened the jack 3 and
noticed that the red and green wires are attached to the screws, and
the yellow and black wires are connected to the ADSL box right next to
jack 3. My guess from the reading I've done is that I cannot use the
jack 3 wiring to get a connection to line 1 (as I have in my bedroom)
since the ADSL connection is using the yeloow/black set of wires.
Hopefully, I gave enough of a description that somebody can confirm
this and possibly offer alternatives?

One other thing, the ADSL connection with jack 3 was made a year or
two after the 3 jacks were initially installed.

Barry