The Natural Philosopher

Andrew wrote:

Was going to try fixing my 20year old zanusi
but on inspection it appears more than just bearings,
rusting etc...so decided to replace...
seems if you're happy with normal spin speeds
... some news ones are really cheap ...
(1000 rpm etc and my wife uses 1 or 2 programs at most)
eg ...
BEKO WMB10W £160 delivered from comet
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_149403.html
or Servis M6011W £170 delivered from index...
I know they aren't built to last anymore ... but are models like
this just trouble... should I pay another £100+ for a basic bosch...
or are they pretty much all the same these days and buy the cheapest with
a view to replacing every 5 years?
Andrew

When I retirned to this contry in 1983, I bought a hotpoint. Its still
working after two new door seals overteh years.

In 1995 I got another cheapo hotpoint. Thepump went under warranty, the
concrete blocks smashed off its drm after a few years (now glued on with
car body filler) and the motor went short-to-earth a month or two back.

Its still going but I can't say I am pleased. The drum to frame gap is
adequate to ingest socks with alarming frequency.

Frankly, I'd got for a second hand machine thats battered to hell, but
still works.

My ma in law was praisong her orginla 1955 fridge 'it lasted for 14
years: I wish we still had it" I asked her what the cost price was
'around £200'

We had a whole garage built for £200 in 1955. Today that would cost
what? £5000? £20,000?

Most people today buy a machine with extended warranty, and throw it aay
and replace as soon as the warranty runs out and it goes wrong, because
frankly, with all out plus parts exceeding £150, the cost benefit of
fixing unless DIY is crap.