MikeS

"Andrew" wrote in message
Was going to try fixing my 20year old zanusi
but on inspection it appears more than just bearings,
rusting etc...so decided to replace...
seems if you're happy with normal spin speeds
... some news ones are really cheap ...
(1000 rpm etc and my wife uses 1 or 2 programs at most)
eg ...
BEKO WMB10W £160 delivered from comet
http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_149403.html
or Servis M6011W £170 delivered from index...
I know they aren't built to last anymore ... but are models like
this just trouble... should I pay another £100+ for a basic bosch...
or are they pretty much all the same these days and buy the cheapest with
a view to replacing every 5 years?
Andrew

Andy,

I would be careful when choosing a washing machine, I have an AEG 1400 max
spin speed I had to reinforce the floor as it vibrates violently at
intermittent speeds what ever wash the load.

It is maintained under contract and I have had the engineers several times
and they say there is nothing they can do adding they are meant for being
used on a concrete pad. How do people manage in a flat?!! I asked the
engineer he didn't reply.

This machine cost £450 I'm sure a lower spin seed would be just as good. Our
previous machine a Hoover lasted 14 years and we had twins it did all their
nappies in that time it owed me nothing I cant say it is justified to get a
high end washing machine that has all the bells and whistles, because as you
say you only use one or two programs. Say hot wash for whites and drip dry
for everything else.My AEG is 2,8 time more expensive than the BEKO Is the
AEG 2.8 times better or you could throw the Beco away every two years get a
new one and still be in pocket when comparing with the AEG.
MikeS