Ed Sirett

Default 2nd opinion on plumbing into drains

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:42:59 +0000, Big Al - The Peoples Pal wrote:

Hugo Nebula wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 01:15:05 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Big
Al - The Peoples Pal" randomly
hit the keyboard and produced:

Had a local plumber around ...
He proferred some advice to me about where to run the
drainage and that it was a easy-ish DIY job...
Water from a washing machine going into a Soakaway drain...
The plumber recommended using the soakaway rather than the more awkward
problems I would have getting the drainage to the foul water drain.

The guy may be a plumber, but he's also an arsehole! Untreated sewage
(for that's what it is) discharging straight into the ground is not a
good idea anywhere, and is illegal if you're anywhere near a drinking
water source (such as a reservoir or river catchment area or someone's
borehole).

Cheers for the information (both of you), I have not knocked any holes in
the walls as yet, so I can change my mind with regard to the routing of the
waste pipes.

Guess I'll have to ask a few more questions and do a search into moving a
foul drain by about 8 to 12 feet, to see if I want hassle now, or hassle
later. I'll probably not have that plumber back though.

Most washing machines seem to be able to pump out through two or even
three length of w/m outlet hose.
Depending on the layout and what youare preapred to have in terms of
exterior or interior pipewor, you could be able to fix this problem
without recourse to digging anything up.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk