Greg G.

Carl McCarty said:

Hi Greg,
I just received a SuperNova 2 last week. I am NOT an expert by any
means, but this is a huge improvement over the original Nova Chuck I
had. I also got the three jaw set from KMS. I just turned a 8" diameter
lidded vessal from box elder and the chuck held without slipping from
start to finish.
Carl McCarty

Hello Carl,
Thanks for the input! I was beginning to wonder if my messages were
getting out... :-\ Generally, this sort of question brings forth a
multitude of opinions, similar to the left-tilt / right-tilt table saw
question. ;-)

I wanted to avoid the specialized chuck key models. I like the
ball-headed allen key arrangement and the variety of jaws which are
available for the SuperNova2. The fact that they allow upgrading to
other bare chuck body models while retaining use of your existing jaw
sets is inviting as well. The Vicmarc VM-100 is a fine looking piece
as well, but they are harder to find in the US - I know of only one
distributor. Also, I believe that some of the Oneway jaws may be
slightly modified and used on the SuperNova/2. And of course, the
mini-cole jaws are next on the list...

I primarily want to do smallish segmented vessels, bowls, and boxes.
It's a hobby, not a profession - I feel strange enough paying more for
a chuck set than the lathe, but so be it... ;-)

Greg G.