Greg G.

Default Has anyone used the new SuperNova 2 chuck?

I'm in the market for a chuck for a Jet Midi-Lathe, and the new
SuperNova 2 chuck has all the features I'm looking for. Has anyone
used this thing yet, and if so, how does it perform?

Seems like a real bargain for $190US w/ insert.

Sorry, not looking for info on Oneway, Axminster, Vicmarc or PSI. ;-)

Thanks,

Greg G.
Carl McCarty

Hi Greg,
I just received a SuperNova 2 last week. I am NOT an expert by any
means, but this is a huge improvement over the original Nova Chuck I
had. I also got the three jaw set from KMS. I just turned a 8" diameter
lidded vessal from box elder and the chuck held without slipping from
start to finish.
Carl McCarty

Greg G. wrote:

I'm in the market for a chuck for a Jet Midi-Lathe, and the new
SuperNova 2 chuck has all the features I'm looking for. Has anyone
used this thing yet, and if so, how does it perform?

Seems like a real bargain for $190US w/ insert.

Sorry, not looking for info on Oneway, Axminster, Vicmarc or PSI. ;-)

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg G.

Carl McCarty said:

Hi Greg,
I just received a SuperNova 2 last week. I am NOT an expert by any
means, but this is a huge improvement over the original Nova Chuck I
had. I also got the three jaw set from KMS. I just turned a 8" diameter
lidded vessal from box elder and the chuck held without slipping from
start to finish.
Carl McCarty

Hello Carl,
Thanks for the input! I was beginning to wonder if my messages were
getting out... :-\ Generally, this sort of question brings forth a
multitude of opinions, similar to the left-tilt / right-tilt table saw
question. ;-)

I wanted to avoid the specialized chuck key models. I like the
ball-headed allen key arrangement and the variety of jaws which are
available for the SuperNova2. The fact that they allow upgrading to
other bare chuck body models while retaining use of your existing jaw
sets is inviting as well. The Vicmarc VM-100 is a fine looking piece
as well, but they are harder to find in the US - I know of only one
distributor. Also, I believe that some of the Oneway jaws may be
slightly modified and used on the SuperNova/2. And of course, the
mini-cole jaws are next on the list...

I primarily want to do smallish segmented vessels, bowls, and boxes.
It's a hobby, not a profession - I feel strange enough paying more for
a chuck set than the lathe, but so be it... ;-)

Greg G.
Lyn J. Mangiameli

Well, you pretty much covered the points on the SuperNova 2.

I've had a couple of them for a few of weeks, but an injured hand has
interfered with trying them out. For all intents and purposes, they
appear to be a slightly smaller (and generally more usefully sized)
version of the Titan I have and reviewed about a year ago. You can get a
pdf of that review he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

I really like the Titan and love both sets of Powergrip jaws (one sized
for the SuperNova, the other the new larger size for the Titan). The
SuperNova 2 sounds like an excellent choice for style of turning you
most enjoy engaging in.

Lyn

Greg wrote:
Carl McCarty said:

[...]

Greg G.

Lyn J. Mangiameli said:

Well, you pretty much covered the points on the SuperNova 2.

Thanks, Lyn,
All based on press and reading 6 months of r.c.w - but no "hands-on"
review or whether it actually holds a workpiece securely. :-\

I've had a couple of them for a few of weeks, but an injured hand has
interfered with trying them out.

I hope it wasn't a lathe accident that injured your hand...
This thing is far more dangerous than I originally thought.

For all intents and purposes, they
appear to be a slightly smaller (and generally more usefully sized)
version of the Titan I have and reviewed about a year ago. You can get a
pdf of that review he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

Another great site. I hope you don't mind if I steal your PDF's for
reading. I've read so many books, videos and web sites in the last
month, I think my head is gonna explode. And tool sharpening?
Cripes!

I've had the lathe for less than a month, and turned two objects.
Spent more time reading opinions, techniques and ad copy than turning.
Not to mention assembling segmenting jigs and aligning the TS and BS
in preparation for my "one great object de art".

I really like the Titan and love both sets of Powergrip jaws (one sized
for the SuperNova, the other the new larger size for the Titan). The
SuperNova 2 sounds like an excellent choice for style of turning you
most enjoy engaging in.

Thanks for the info.

Greg G.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Greg

To bad, and I think your loss for not considering the other chucks, the
Talon for approx. $210.- US is tops in Quality and holding power in my
opinion.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Greg wrote:

I'm in the market for a chuck for a Jet Midi-Lathe, and the new
SuperNova 2 chuck has all the features I'm looking for. Has anyone
used this thing yet, and if so, how does it perform?

Seems like a real bargain for $190US w/ insert.

Sorry, not looking for info on Oneway, Axminster, Vicmarc or PSI. ;-)

Thanks,

Greg G.

JUDDAlAN6

Hi Carl yes I have been using it for years, it is without doubt one of the
finest chucks you could possibly own. If you want to make boxes, bowls, vases,
or anything else of this nature then the supernova is the baby.
Alan Todd UK

Supernova II Chuck Barry N. Turner Woodturning 2 August 29th 04 05:05 AM
Supernova 2 chuck guy Woodturning 13 May 28th 04 08:29 PM
Attaching a Supernova chuck to a South Bend Lathe? Leo Van Der Loo Woodturning 5 March 19th 04 07:34 AM
Teknatool Titan Chuck draft review Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 1 January 12th 04 05:07 PM
Supernova Chuck on Jet Mini? Rusty Myers Woodturning 10 November 4th 03 12:33 AM