Andy Dingley

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:46:17 GMT, Robert
wrote:

Princess Auto claims they are the identical product, just a ton cheaper.
Is that true?

No.

Try reading Fine Woodworking (it's a magazine - I doubt you've seen
it). Last issue had a large head-to-head on different clamp brands.

Now for your "Princess Auto" clamps, they look awfully similar to ones
I get here in the UK as "Silverline". I love these clamps, even
though they cost me $25 from Screwfix. They're still pretty cheap, and
they're lightweight. They're very badly made though - everything is
sloppy, half the pin retainer clipss are missing, and they have the
worst rolled threads I've ever seen. Still, it means I can afford a
dozen "sash clamps" and they weigh little enough that I can use them
all on one glue-up without crushing it.

The Lee Valley product is obviously different - I can see at least
five differences from the ones I have, from the colour to the amount
of slop and loss of vertical register.

So, if you want the Princess ones, go to it - you won't regret it. If
you want something a little better for what is still a pretty low
price, then look at the LV ones.

--
Smert' spamionam