DIYGUY

Made a switch bracket myself about four years ago with similar design
objectives in mind. It is interesting how the same objectives can yield
such different approaches to the problem. I think the extrusion was
less than $10 at the Borg and I had the rivets already. About the only
challenge was trying to figure out the height from the floor to meet my
flexed knee. It took me only about an hour to make. I like the fact I
can use it no matter where I am standing, which was one additional
design point not in yours. Oh, and it is very smoooooth to operate.
Pix are in ABPW...

Ken Vaughn wrote:
Today I made a knee operated kill switch for my Jet table saw. Here is a
photo of the finished switch:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/knee_plate.jpg

I made a mounting plate from 1/4" Baltic Birch ply to which I glued and
screwed two pivot arms made from scrap oak. This plate was installed
between the switch and the mounting bracket:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/pivot_arms.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...with_pivot.jpg

The knee plate was made from 3/8" Baltic Birch and scrap oak.

My design criteria:

1) switch should not interfere with depth adjustment wheel when blade set to
45 degree bevel (it does not)
2) no obstruction of switch start button (it does not)
3) minimal forward extension of entire switch (adds about 5/8" -- 1/4" for
mounting plate and 3/8" for knee plate)
4) minimal throw to operate switch (about 1" at bottom of plate, about 3/4"
where knee contacts plate)
5) minimal cost (made entirely from existing scrap and hardware)