Trent©

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:30:24 -0400, "Harry"
wrote:

I'm so confused :-(

That's because yer havin' fun...and yer just not used to it!! lol

I mean I understand the logic, and I understand that
part of this is personal preference, and all that, but from an "amateur
handyman's" stand point, let's see. If I needed a cordless drill to have
around for the ocasional use, an inexpensive 14.4 V Chicago Electric would
be fine.

Probably.

However, if later on I wanted to, let's say, finish my basement,
then I'd need to go out and buy a more expensive model. Is that right?

Not necessarily. You use what you've got...then replace or upgrade
when necessary. But you ALSO try to plan ahead...and put some of your
personal logic into your purchase.

For instance...

If you know yer gonna finish yer basement soon, you don't buy a 9.6
drill...if you plan on usin' that drill for the basement job, too.
You may want to get something heftier...and maybe hammer drill
incorporated.

Oh...and here's where the prejudice part comes in...

I just bought a 1/2" 2-gear speed, VSR, hammer drill 18v. I think I
paid $26.99...or $29...I forget. What's the first thing you think off
when you hear that price?...with those features? See?!! lol

With the way current technology is changin', don't spend too much
money on something that you think is gonna last forever. The FEATURES
won't last forever! How many contractors do you see usin' a drill on
the job that has a keyed chuck?

But...again as I think I hinted at before...I wouldn't buy a tool that
is too expensive and overkill for the job at hand. If I buy a drill
that costs hundreds of dollars and will generate $100,000 in
sales...its money well spent.

Or
unless I use the cordless drill on a daily basis, to make a living, then a
cheaper model would be O.K., even if I decide to do some bigger projects
around the house?

Many of the 'cheap' tools have gained in popularity because they were
kept around in case the 'name brand' tool failed. And failed they
did. They ALL do eventually...I don't care WHAT the quality is.

So the 'cheap' tool got used while the good one was being repaired.
Low and behold...the cheap tool was still working when the good one
came back. So they kept on usin' the cheap tool.

Like someone else said in this thread, it'd be good if someone had
experience in long term use of many different models, so they could give a
comparative opinion. But, that is not a very common thing, so...

Common sense...and pocket book...will prevail in most cases. When I
bought my first cordless drill, I didn't realize how important a
2-speed gear box is. So now, that's the first thing that I look for.

BTW, why would you take the Ryobi every time, if you had a choice between a
DeWalt and a Ryobi? I think I'm missing something.

Cost per billable hour. Or cost per home project(s) hour.

If I'm gonna use a drill for 2 hours total in 10 years, most drills
will last for 2 hours of total run time. So the cheaper tool is the
better purchase.

Finally, I want to thank you, and every one else, for your thoughtful
comments.

Yer welcome. There's been a lot of good feedback for you here.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent