W. Scott Wohlgemuth

I have a Sears 25 gallon/5HPhorizontal compressor as well and mine did the
same thing after about two years. It was on a 20A 110V breaker 5 feet from
the panel on a dedicated outlet. I rewired the motor to 220v (simple
jumpers and the schmetic is in the motor junction box) and put it on a 20A
220V breaker and has been fine since. When I was having the problem I
checked the motor with a megger and checked the amperage of the load and the
motor was fine but the startup current was around 22 amps. My guess is that
this was due to the fact that it is a oil less compressor and is now wearing
in a bit and has become hard starting. It has been fine on 220v and is
drawing 8.5 amps on startup.

"Tom" wrote in message
newsk7gd.321434$MQ5.224771@attbi_s52...
I have a Sears 25 gallon/4HP horizontal compressor. When I first turn it

on
it runs fine and shuts off at 150psi. The problem I have is when the
pressure gets at the level where it automatically kicks on again it then
pops the breaker off and I then have to reset the breaker before it will

run
again. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit with 12/2WG using a Square D
breaker and a 20 amp duplex receptacle for the compressor, and nothing

else
is on this circuit. Do any of you folks have any suggestions as to how I

can
cure this problem? Thanks for your help.