Ian Stirling

DavyW wrote:
Dear All,

anybody got any information on the cost of using a tumble dryer? I'm
looking for approximate costs, i.e. cost to dry 5KG of washed towels.

Then, are there any comparisons the show the cost of drying with a
condenser dryer compared to a vented dryer. I guess that the condenser
should be more efficient as it isn't pumping wet heat out of the
dryer, but some example figures would be good

In all cases, it's usually worth bunging the load in for another spin,
especailly for towels and stuff.
The problem with most machines is that the load ramps up to a speed, and
sticks there.
At that speed, all the clothes are plastered to the outside of the drum,
and don't move at all.
If you put them in again, it may take several hundred grams of water out.

Take a scale, a few towels, weigh dry, after one spin, and after two or
three.
(three is generally not worth it)

Very roughly, it costs a minimum of about half a Kwh just to boil/evaporate
1Kg of water.
And it's never going to be that cheap unless you use a model with a heat
pump, and I don't think there are any.

Personally.
I think a closely sealed cupboard with a bit of insulation, and a
dehumidifier and a fan would be ideal.
(currently use a dehumidifier and a fan in a second bathroom, which isn't
optimal)
Gets clothes dry for a fraction of the money, and bashes them around less.