Steve Smith

Default Wood pellet boiler sited in detached garage

Hi all. I am after some advice please. We plan to replace our heating system
in a major house refurb next year. We are not in a mains gas area, currently
we have an uninsulated house with very expensive LPG heating. I am looking
at maybe using wood pellet heating, but these boilers are large and require
a big store of pellets to be quite adjacent. We plan to have a garage sited
5m from the main house so if we put the boiler in the garage we would be
running approx 7m to the house with 5m under exposed ground. Does anyone
have any idea of heat loss to expect from this? In the US boiler houses are
quite common I believe but in the UK boilers seem to only be sited in the
main body of the house.

We plan to clad the house which has solid 10"walls (approx 100 years old)
with EZClad insulated brick slip system to ground floor top of window height
and then insulated battened vertical tiles to the roof. We will also be
insulating the roof and double glazing all windows, after which I calculate
we will need a 20KW boiler system. We will also be adding a small celcon
extension. Has anyone any experience of I-Beam TJI floor joist systems too?
We think they may be the best solution for the 1st floor floors with celcon
floors for the ground floor. really we are almost rebuilding the house!

Look forward to any comments.

Steve