Matt Whiting

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

We are about to install several new circuits as we upgrade the
electrical systems in this very old house.

- For "normal" rooms (i.e. not kitchen, bathroom, garage, workshop, or
outdoors), should one go with standard 15A circuits or should one put
in 20A "just in case"?

- Even if you just put in 15A breakers and receptacles now, does it pay
to pull through #12 wire just in case you ever later want to
upgrade?

- How big is the difference in price for wiring (per foot) and for
circuit breakers?

Thanks,
Jeff

I used 12 gauge and 20A breakers for every general purpose circuit in my
house. The extra cost is minimal and you can never have too much
electrical capacity. And even if a few circuits are underutilized, that
will bother you a lot less than the one or two that keep tripping the
breaker.

Matt