John Rouse

Default coalhole - service mains + damp proofing

In article , drifter
writes
When it comes to letting through a house sale, solicitors & bldg socs
are getting ever more pernickety about what is stated in house survey
reports & are asking ever more searching questions of sellers.
Partly this due to law changes & partly due to court decisions.

A friend had it noted that his roof didn't meet the current bldg regs
by the buyer's BS surveyor, even though it complied fully when it was
built 20 years ago. Guess what? It had to be modified before the
transaction went through. He had deep suspicions there was a surveyor
looking for work for his mates somewhere, but he's just thoroughly
uncharitable :-{{

On the other hand, when our insurers were looking for any excuse not to
remedy the subsidence on our house, and were working on the "spreading
roof" hypothesis, the surveyor said that in theory there ought to be
more diagonal bracing, but that if it had stood for 150 years like that,
he could see no reason to go to the trouble of putting it in.

J.
--
John Rouse