Art Todesco

Check to see if power is coming to the blower leads. If it is a
multi-speed blower you have to check the leads for the speed which is
wired in. If power is present, it's a pretty good shot that there is a
problem in the blower.

Jim Devereux wrote:
Jim Devereux wrote:

"Red Neckerson" wrote in message

It's the transformer. Most have screws on them that can be
tightened/loosened to get the noise to stop. If it continues, you may

want

to reoplce it. It probably isn't going bad, just annoying as hell.....
"Jim Devereux" wrote in message

When I turn on my central air/heat, I get a buzzing sound from the

furnace

unit. The outside AC unit and the gas heater seem to be working but

the

blower fan (below the inside furnace unit) will not move.

I removed the blower from the furnace unit and the blades spin very
freely,
no sound whatsoever. If I set the thermostat to "fan only" I still get

fairly loud electrical buzzing sound, like something is trying to come

on,

this is even with the blower physically removed from the unit.

I've done some looking on Google and seen other accounts similar to

mine

where the capacitor that serves the blower is bad. I'm not sure if I

have

that stated correctly, but any suggestions on how to proceed would be
appreciated.

Ok but it's not just noise, the blower will not move.

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

If the buzzing is coming from the blower (I assume that's what your are
implying) then it's not a transformer and it is probably, as you
hypothesized, the motor starting capacitor. It is located on or in the
motor. It could also be a bad motor.

No, the buzzing is not coming from the blower. That was my first thought
but I hear it even when the blower is disconnected.

I don't mean to say that the buzzing sound is abnormal -- I heard it even
when everything worked. It's just the normal sound of my central air
kicking on. Only now the blower does not turn.

So...

I'm assuming I have to check the blower motor to see if it's dead, and also
check the capacitor.