gary watson

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:59:10 +0100, "Fergal"
wrote:

"gary watson" wrote in message
.. .

....... snippety, snip .......... 8

Couldn't you just add another strip of wood (MDF or whatever) inside the
vertical sections of the frame but set back from the face by the thickness
of the door. This would enable you to use concealed (blum) hinges which have
the advantages of not needing to screw into the edge of the doors and are
also adjustable so you can get the door alignment just right. From the
outside the door/frame combination would look the same or better IMO as
there would be no visible hinges.

Fergal

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean another strip that would
be thick enough to form a substantial face at right angles to the face
of the doors so that I could use the normal 90 degree blum type hinges
? If so that wouldn't really be practical for my particular case.
Although I may have misunderstood. I'll attempt a quick ascii diagram
to show my particular configuration (although you may have to
cut'n'paste it into something like notepad that uses a fixed-width
font for it to make sense).....

| |
| |
| |
|_|_____ ___________
|_______||____________

I hope the above displays sensibly - it is a plan view - or horizontal
cross-section I suppose would be more accurate - the vertical edge is
the side panel of the wardrobe - the first (i.e. leftmost) horizontal
piece is the 3" outer frame - the second horizontal piece is the
leftmost edge of a door. As (I hope) you can see - I would need a blum
type hinge that is engineered for fixing in a 180 degree closed
position and opening to more than 270 degrees. I have done a quick
google search and the best I can come up with are some blum type
hinges that are made for corner type kitchen cupboards but these do
not seem to have sufficient angle (i.e. door to side panel angle is
135 degrees).

I found the data sheets for the hinges difficult to interpret though
since they seem to be more oriented to folks who will be setting up
jigs for manufacturing large quantities of cupboard carcasses and
such.

Anyway, thanks for you suggestion,

Gary.