gary watson

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:42:15 GMT, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

gary watson wrote in message ...

........ snip, snip ...... 8 ...... snip .... 8 .....

IMHO, MDF is not strong enough to support it's own weight and will not stay
flat when used as doors in this way.
I may be OK for a while but I fear it will end in tears.

I've never really used MDF but I picked up a 4'x4' sheet once and was
surprised at it's weight compared to similar thickness ply.

Consider buying 'paint ply' doors from your timber merchant (not the sheds).
These are cheap and light and available in width steps of 3" x 78" tall.
With care, can be shortened if needed byy cutting and regluing the edge
timber back in between the skins and also the width can be reduced by about
3/4" on each edge by sawing and planing.
They can be painted as the name suggests or stained/varnished.
Using standard mouldings, these can be made to resemble panel doors.
HTH

Bob

I've never come across these but they sound interesting. I always try
to buy large orders from a local timber merchant but have always dealt
with them by phone/fax. Maybe I should ask their advice or go and have
a wander around their premises - they are always helpful. I try to
avoid the large sheds except for small last minute emergency purchases
when I don't object to paying through the nose so much.

The only pre-made cupboard type doors I have seen are the louvre type
doors that the large sheds seem to stock. If something like that is
available but in a plain flat style then that might be what I'm
looking for. I'll try and check it out.

Thanks,

Gary.