Andy Hall

Default Door operated switch

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:06:06 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Malcolm Hackett wrote:
I would like to instal some lights into my wardrobe, with switches that
automatically turn on the lights whenever the door is opened.

Seemed like a straightforward idea at the time, but I can't find any
switches that I could use to do this.

TLC do a door switch with box for 5.20 + vat

FM 140WB
www.tlc-direct.co.uk

I bought one of those and really it needs to be morticed which may not
be possible. OK as a switch though

I found a more generically useful one at RS, which unusually was not
that outrageously priced. 456-4643 at £6.60 exc.

This one has an overall plastic case and is adjustable with a proper
microswitch - ample rating as well.

I used one on one of my large kitchen cupboards where the consumer
unit is at the back. I put a small 8W maintained emergency light in
the top of the cupboard, wired to a lighting circuit upstream of the
RCD.

When the door is opened, the light comes on. It will stay on if the
power fails.

I was able to adjust the plunger so that the relatively light magnetic
catch had no trouble holding the door closed.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl