David Efflandt

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:44:04 GMT, Lee Hurd wrote:
Also, I replaced some vents on my steam radiators, unfortunately the brand I
got makes a pinging sound as it operates loud enough to wake me up when the
heat comes on at night. A total shot in the dark, but can anybody mention a
brand that is quieter?

What brand/model did you get?

Part of having a quiet efficient system is making sure that the steam
pressure is set low enough. With the typical Pressuretrol, this means
setting it as low as it can go, to cut-in at 0.5 psi, and cut-out at 1.5
psi. Many vents are rated for a working pressure of 1.5 psi and/or could
be noisier if pressure is higher.

An excellent source of info about steam (and hydronic) heat is "The Wall"
forum at http://www.heatinghelp.com/ and other sources there, like Hot
Tech Topics. Or if you really want to learn how your system works they
have numerous books like "We Got Steam Heat"
http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/...category=2-109
or "The Lost Art of Steam Heating"
http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/...m?category=2-3