Maxprop

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message

I think people do respect fine woodturning. Friends are surprised and
comment on my talent. But unless they have a lot of disposable income,

the
prices are often high compared to what they would expect and are willing

pay.

I must admit I'm slightly puzzled by the high cost of turnings. I've seen
some wonderful hollow forms with superb workmanship for under $150, but I've
also seen many comparable pieces for four or five times that figure, or even
more.

Recently, in Bloomington, IN, I saw a rather simple spalted birch bowl for
nearly $155. Had it been perfectly finished and a bit more attractive in
design, it might have commanded that price. Sadly the finish, which
appeared to be a spray-on lacquer, was badly contaminated with dust. It was
anything but smooth or attractive. The bowl wasn't worth $30, IMO. Nearby
was an awesome bowl of some sort of burl with a natural edge. It was marked
$850. From the dust I surmised it had been sitting there for quite some
time.

I, an amateur of limited turning experience, can turn a 10" bowl to
completion in about two or three nights of a few hours each session. While
mine certainly aren't the finely crafted pieces that draw big money, they
really aren't all that bad. And my experience with finishes is quite
extensive, so that area isn't deficient. So my question: why does it seem
that turnings, especially bowls and hollow forms, are all priced so high?
It doesn't appear that the time involved is that great. And no doubt many
turners asking those prices have been turning only a few years themselves.
Are turners pricing themselves out of the market? Obviously I'm not
referring to something from, say, Dale Nish.

Max