Jason D.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:42:33 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:15:45 -0400, "techdrive"
wrote:

Hi Again, We had another CTC203AX with a Bad Pip board that caused it too:
(F2PIP board) Try pulling the pip board out and turn the set on. It if
comes on the pip board is defective. -Mike

Doesn't the 203 fail to turn on (except to the Service Menu) is any
I2C device is defective or missing? Is there anything on the PIP board
that is in the communications loop? It's been awhile here, folks.

I know I worked on one that the tuner was bad. I removed the tuner, it
refused to come on. I consulted the manual, and determined that it
would turn on to the Service Menu if a communication-required device
was disabled or missing.

Tom

Tom, 203 won't power up at all if vital items: jungle, micro, tuner or
any jammed or bad joints in I2C bus will cause 3 strikes and out,
click click click. I clearly recall forced power method doesn't exist
for 203. I think was for older 17x chassis.

The F2PIP module will jam the I2C bus if F2PIP module's 3.3V source is
lost. This 3.3V powers PIP IC (big one), and bunch of smd transistors
to convert 5V I2C to 3.3V I2C bus or vice vesa for the PIP IC. I2C
communication is needed to control PIP and set up values, switch
inputs, so many things basically nothing in 203 is analog to adjust,
it's all digital.

Reason 3.3V went away on F2PIP module was the one of two SMD resistors
developed a solder crack for the LM317 trimming voltage. Crack that
and 3.3V is lost. Bingo jammed I2C bus. To confirm, remove F2PIP
module and turn it on, it should come up but no picture but deflection
circuits are whirring away normally and hear the degaussing relay
click once like a normal power up process.

Fix was resolder that tiny two SMD resistors for LM317, 3.3V is back
and set is functional once again. Easy job really.

Cheers,

Wizard