ed_h

Very interesting idea. I've done some similar things, and can offer
some experience:

1. Cherry gets darker over time, walnut gets lighter. The time may
come when the contrast is greatly subdued.

2. Providing you keep standing water wiped up, the biggest risk of
damage from water is in endgrain areas that you can't get to, like the
perimeter of the sink cutout, or the faucet cutouts (depending on
whether the sink mounts from above or below). Caulks will fail.

3. Even normal use in a kitchen is pretty tough service for any
surface coating, and unfortunately, the most durable are probably the
least asthetically appealing (IMO, at least). I'd consider a
non-toxic oil treatment--not a finish, really--like regular
applications of mineral oil. This is traditional on maple or similar
countertops. This has the advantage of being more repairable.

(Jim Brown) wrote in message . com...
Gentlemen and you know who you are,

I am building a countertop with alternating cherry and walnut strips
glued together. Due to the sink in the middle there will be some
water splashing around. I like the natural look of walnut and cherry
so no staining. Planning to use many coats of polyurethane for both
top and bottom surfaces. Water based or oil based? Anything better?
Since I have little experience with wood finishing, please do not skip
any steps you deem as obvious.

Peace.

Jim