Tom Veatch

On 21 Oct 2004 11:33:53 -0700, (Elmar) wrote:

Just built a WW shop about 50' (cable length) from my service panel.
What gauge wire should I be using? 4-4-4-6? If so, should I pull
them all individually? Or buy the premade 4-4-4-6? What size
conduit? 1.25"?

Shop is 16X20, may consider a/c eventually too. Aside from that, I
have all the other goodies, Table Saw, dust collector, Compressors,
I'll need a ton of lighting, etc...

Would I ever really exceed 70 amps? Could I maybe get away with
6-6-6-6?

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks!

Elmar

My shop is about the same size, etc. I have a 60 amp drop and about 150' of
cable run. The wires are individual #6 AL.

Lighting is 6 4' fluorescent fixtures w/4 40w bulbs in each. There is a small
window unit air conditioner on 120v. Most of the stationary tools are wired for
240. Heat is LP gas.

Maximum simultaneous load is lights plus A/C (on opposite phases) plus 3hp
cabinet saw. No dust collector, yet. The lights do react to saw startup, but
that is the only negative I've noticed. No breaker trips, so far.

However, if I had it to do over, I'd go with a larger gauge (and use CU feeders
instead of AL) for a couple of reasons. One, easier to increase capacity down
the road, and, second, reduced line losses today. I'm pushing the limits with
the existing installation.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA