mwlogs

If your furnace is old enough to have a true pilot light, then it will have
a thermo-couple similar to that found in a hot water tank. This keeps the
main gas valve from opening if the pilot is out. Since it is constantly in
the heat of the pilot flame, it will eventually burn up. When this
happens, even if the pilot is lit it doesn't register and the burner won't
ignite.

Look for this, if could be one that connects directly to the value, as in a
hot water tank, or one that has an electric contact the breaks the circuit
to the thermostat. Probably not difficult to replace.

"Adam" wrote in message
. com...
My furnace is not working. The pilot light is lite, but the burner does

not
kick in when I turn up the thermostat. I believe that it is the gas

valve.
I have concluded this because I cannot hear it click when I make the call
for heat from the thermostat. I also have ruled out a faulty thermostat

by
disconnecting it and connecting the W wire and the R wire and bypassing

the
thermostat.

If it is the gas valve, is it something I can repair my self? If not what
is a reasonable price for getting it repaired. I have noticed that the

part
sells for around $100. Thanks for any help!