Adam

Default Furnace repair----Gas valve

My furnace is not working. The pilot light is lite, but the burner does not
kick in when I turn up the thermostat. I believe that it is the gas valve.
I have concluded this because I cannot hear it click when I make the call
for heat from the thermostat. I also have ruled out a faulty thermostat by
disconnecting it and connecting the W wire and the R wire and bypassing the
thermostat.

If it is the gas valve, is it something I can repair my self? If not what
is a reasonable price for getting it repaired. I have noticed that the part
sells for around $100. Thanks for any help!

Tony Hwang

Adam wrote:
My furnace is not working. The pilot light is lite, but the burner does not
kick in when I turn up the thermostat. I believe that it is the gas valve.
I have concluded this because I cannot hear it click when I make the call
for heat from the thermostat. I also have ruled out a faulty thermostat by
disconnecting it and connecting the W wire and the R wire and bypassing the
thermostat.

If it is the gas valve, is it something I can repair my self? If not what
is a reasonable price for getting it repaired. I have noticed that the part
sells for around $100. Thanks for any help!

Hi,
Do you have control volt(24 Volt AC) going to valve when thermostat
calls for heat? Easiest way to check is to remove thermostat cover and
moving the temp up/down, look at the mercury switch, do you see little
sparks? Maybe the transformer for 24V AC is gone bad.
Tony
mwlogs

If your furnace is old enough to have a true pilot light, then it will have
a thermo-couple similar to that found in a hot water tank. This keeps the
main gas valve from opening if the pilot is out. Since it is constantly in
the heat of the pilot flame, it will eventually burn up. When this
happens, even if the pilot is lit it doesn't register and the burner won't
ignite.

Look for this, if could be one that connects directly to the value, as in a
hot water tank, or one that has an electric contact the breaks the circuit
to the thermostat. Probably not difficult to replace.

"Adam" wrote in message
. com...
My furnace is not working. The pilot light is lite, but the burner does

not
kick in when I turn up the thermostat. I believe that it is the gas

valve.
I have concluded this because I cannot hear it click when I make the call
for heat from the thermostat. I also have ruled out a faulty thermostat

by
disconnecting it and connecting the W wire and the R wire and bypassing

the
thermostat.

If it is the gas valve, is it something I can repair my self? If not what
is a reasonable price for getting it repaired. I have noticed that the

part
sells for around $100. Thanks for any help!

TURTLE

"Adam" wrote in message
. com...
My furnace is not working. The pilot light is lite, but the burner does not
kick in when I turn up the thermostat. I believe that it is the gas valve.
I have concluded this because I cannot hear it click when I make the call
for heat from the thermostat. I also have ruled out a faulty thermostat by
disconnecting it and connecting the W wire and the R wire and bypassing the
thermostat.

If it is the gas valve, is it something I can repair my self? If not what
is a reasonable price for getting it repaired. I have noticed that the part
sells for around $100. Thanks for any help!

This is Turtle.

Adam your thinking maybe good here but it is flawed with a bunch of things that
still does not say it is a gas valve. You need to remove the two wires going to
it and hold them away from anything that will short out to and put your volt
meter on the two wires and see if you get 24 to 28 volts AC coming to it. If so
it's your gas valve maybe. If not it is not the gas valve.

Pricing . Hey it can range a great deal from one part of the country to the
other. A gas valve replacement depending on service rate and parts pricing in
your area. It could run between $185.00 to $500.00. I get for regular customer
to change the gas valves between $185.00 to $245.00 [ not a rare type ] really
depending on the type gas valve they have. Pricing without knowing the area or
the gas valve type is very hard to do for I have paid Wholesale for a Carrier
auto ignition type gas valve $251.00 and is suppose to sell it at a 30% mark up
to warrenty it for 1 year. This would put the gas valve over $300.00 price to
you and no labor yet.

Another point here. The price of gas valves is like what is the price of a new
car but then they say what kind of car do you want. All gas valve are not the
same and prices vary vastly.

TURTLE

rednelb

I had the same problem, I changed the thermocouple and that didn't help,
checked everything and it seemed ok. Turned out to be a pressure switch that
was *stuck* or something.

"Adam" wrote in message
. com...
My furnace is not working. The pilot light is lite, but the burner does
not
kick in when I turn up the thermostat. I believe that it is the gas
valve.
I have concluded this because I cannot hear it click when I make the call
for heat from the thermostat. I also have ruled out a faulty thermostat
by
disconnecting it and connecting the W wire and the R wire and bypassing
the
thermostat.

If it is the gas valve, is it something I can repair my self? If not what
is a reasonable price for getting it repaired. I have noticed that the
part
sells for around $100. Thanks for any help!

Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a good moment to call a repair guy. The risk is great -- if you
hook something up wrong, it could be a mess. Besides, it sounds like you're
not sure it's the gas valve. Could be the power supply or the circuit board
or.... why change a valve and find it's something else?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. com...