Rob Morley

In article , "Terry
Pinnell" says...
In preparing for major decoration and re-carpeting, I've lugged an
enormous amount of stuff either into the garage or the loft. I'm now
considering whether to make the reverse job a bit easier by fitting a
loft ladder. I used to have one at my previous house. This one though
is a simple loose hatch (about 72 x 48 cm), which is pushed up and
stowed when entry is required, via standard aluminium step-ladders.

Assuming I *can* fit one into the rather cramped space near the hatch,
is it a matter of removing the 'supporting strips' underneath the
present hatch cover, and fitting hinges plus a spring catch to it
please?

Yes - the loft ladder that I bought came complete with suitable hardware
for the hatch.