RonB

OH, I forgot.

Win or lose, when it is over help your boy build a simple display for his
car so he can show it off in his room. My son is 26 and I think he still
knows where a couple of his cars are.

"RonB" wrote in message
newsrPdd.6370$EZ.5857@okepread07...
(I knew this would start a string when I saw it last evening)

Tom:
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ADULTS COMPETING WITH ADULTS, USING WOODEN TOY
CARS, WHILE KIDS WATCH. We do, at least, let the kids put the car on the
track.

I was involved in this with my son and nephews both as a parent and scout
leader. I was astounded at the level of competitiveness among adults -
not necessarily healty competition.

The scouts have a specification book that includes rules, weights, etc.
You can buy Pinewood Derby kits that include the block of wood, wheel,
axle nails, and the rules. The block of wood is optional but you have to
use their wheels and nails.

I know of parents buying their own electronic scale (most grocery stores
are glad to let you use one), applying computer modeling, applying custom
laquer jobs, etc. We even had one car that supposedly was tested in the
Wichita State University wind tunnel (Dad was an aerodynamicist that
worked with WSU - Probably true. It lost).

The secrets abound:
- Put your weight low for a slingshot effect when it hits the bottom of
the grade.
- Put your weight high for a slingshot effect when it hits the bottom of
the grade.
- Spin you wheels to polish the axle and wheel race. (GENTLY, Belt
sander? - NO!)
- Leave one wheel off of the track. (Half of the cars actually built by
boys are this way anyway.)
- Very small frontal area. With one exception, this seems to be true.
The very thin, wedge shaped cars seemed to do a little better. However
one year we had a pretty artistic rendition of a model T roadster that
won.
- Polish the finish. They look nice but this still goes back to the WSU
car that lost. My son did win best design one year with a wedge and a
rubbed paint job.

THE TRUE SECRETS OF SUCCESS IN THE PINEWOOD DERBY A
- Work with your son
- Let him have THE active role in design and build
- Bury your ego
- Have fun with your child and make him feel good!