dan cordes

Many good replies for the most part. I've been doing "pinewood deby" cars
for more than 30 years. I have countless 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishes.
Very few other place finishes! (Lot's of boy in the family!) First and
formost is wheels! Must be lubricated. use graphite and they ust be aligned.
Run the car on 3 wheels 25% less friction. As you can tell it's all about
reducing friction. Get the car to max. weight (5 ounces) Don't rely on the
postal scales. Get the car weighed on the "pack" scale. All scales are
different only the "pack" scale counts. Get it as close to weight as
possible you can always adjust it on race day after weighing in on the
"pack" scale. Lightly sand the wheels. they will have burrs on them. they
must be removed. If allowed by the pack, round the wheels as much as
possible. Thus less wheel on the track and less friction. Put the wheels and
axels in a baggie filled with the graphite and "shake and bake" them and let
sit in the graphite as long as possible before race day. Relube the wheels
as close to the time of the first race as allowed by the pack. Let the scout
shape the car and paint/decorate it as he pleases. The shape and decorations
won't effect the running of the car. Good luck. But remember the most
inportant thing about the pinewood derby is to have fun with the scout
building the car and have fun race day enjoying the race. Do not emphisise
the winning and losing. It's all for fun. But that dosen't mean you can't do
the above mentioned to increase the fun a bit by winning. :-)

Dan
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
My son, a new Cub Scout, has told me that he wants to participate in a
Cub Scout wooden model car race.

Before I Google this thing within an inch of it's life, I'd like to
ask for the Wisdom Of Those Who Have Gone Before, on the Wreck.

When I asked my wife for the specs, I was told:

"It has to be five ounces."

Hmm.

When I asked my son for the specs, he said:

"What's a spec?"

Sigh...

I was a Boy Scout, but never a Cub Scout. I would like to hear from
the Cognoscenti.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)