George

Don't need to Google for the rules. They're provided with the official kit.

Poor wheel alignment is what kills most otherwise promising entrants. Four
on the floor at all times.

Weights in the "pusher" position seem best. Since the cars usually end up
wedge-shaped, it's easy enough to bore a hole with a Forstner, sized
properly for a copper plumbing end cap. Bore the cap for #6 sheetmetal
screw for final attachment, use up the sinkers as required. It doesn't need
to be at the max to run fine.

I always insisted on making the weight holder for my two boys, and then
marked a no-cut area 1/4 around the axle insert points before turning it
over to them for style. Paper templates seemed better than freestyle.

I also insisted on doing the wheel alignment. Best advice on wheels is to
let the boys sand all flashing and irregularity off the rolling portion with
block-mounted paper, while the wheels are chucked in a drill press.
Graphite on race day (after appearance judging!) finishes the job.

The kids had some real uglies at first, but by the last two years (we raced
WEBELOS), they improved. All of 'em ran well, because I got the information
above from another father. Kids still have their trophies in their box of
"I am great" stuff.

Get your troop to have non-scout competitions, too. I enjoyed racing a car,
even when my own daughter beat me two years in a row in the finals.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
My son, a new Cub Scout, has told me that he wants to participate in a
Cub Scout wooden model car race.

Before I Google this thing within an inch of it's life, I'd like to
ask for the Wisdom Of Those Who Have Gone Before, on the Wreck.

When I asked my wife for the specs, I was told:

"It has to be five ounces."

Hmm.

When I asked my son for the specs, he said:

"What's a spec?"

Sigh...

I was a Boy Scout, but never a Cub Scout. I would like to hear from
the Cognoscenti.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)