Greg Millen

Tom,

I like Toller's and Patrick's replies, it's about father/son quality time -
not winning.

Let him build it, but ask him why he wants to do something. Research with
him, show him how to use the tools, explain about competitions, winning and
what the true aim is. Ask him what *he* expects to get out of it.

When you go to the meet, focus on him enjoying the day and try to ignore the
individual (there's always one) that tries to win at all costs (it'll be a
parent). Leave before the inevitable argument about the interpretation of
the "rules".

If you get it right, win or lose, your son will want to spend more time with
dad making 'cool' stuff.

Oh yeah, as Keeter said, mount a GPS, but make sure it's at the back.

I wish you both luck.

--

Greg

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
My son, a new Cub Scout, has told me that he wants to participate in a
Cub Scout wooden model car race.

Before I Google this thing within an inch of it's life, I'd like to
ask for the Wisdom Of Those Who Have Gone Before, on the Wreck.

When I asked my wife for the specs, I was told:

"It has to be five ounces."

Hmm.

When I asked my son for the specs, he said:

"What's a spec?"

Sigh...

I was a Boy Scout, but never a Cub Scout. I would like to hear from
the Cognoscenti.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)