Bernie Hunt

I had two top three finishes out of three years. (The third year I made a
three wheeled trike. Took the prize for design, but wouldn't run straiht on
the track. I figured that going it, but I digress.) Looking back, I think a
lot of my sucess was due to wheel alignment. We had seperate wood axels with
nail spindals. I think the designs are different now, but dad always had me
align the axels with calipers. I didn't really appresiate why it mattered
then, but I suspect now that wheel alignment cut down on alot of friction as
the car rolled down the track.

Bernie

"MJT" wrote in message
Several years back, I found a fantastic site on cub cars. Can't tell you
where it is now, though.

It talked about lubrication (matters lots) , aerodynamics (doesn't
matter!)
, weight and where to place it (as much at the back as possible and
maximize
to the legal limit - get it weighted at the post office to be sure...),
how
to make the wheel pins smooth and minimize friction, etc. Even said to
build
it so one wheel wouldn't touch the track, but I think that's illegal in
the
Cub car world.

Anyway, good luck.

Michel.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
My son, a new Cub Scout, has told me that he wants to participate in a
Cub Scout wooden model car race.

Before I Google this thing within an inch of it's life, I'd like to
ask for the Wisdom Of Those Who Have Gone Before, on the Wreck.

When I asked my wife for the specs, I was told:

"It has to be five ounces."

Hmm.

When I asked my son for the specs, he said:

"What's a spec?"

Sigh...

I was a Boy Scout, but never a Cub Scout. I would like to hear from
the Cognoscenti.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)