Jim Giblin

My son and I made a match box car (20 years ago ;-)) that came in third in
his pack. As I recall, the scout pack provided the car shaped, wood blank.
We rough cut the blank then sanded the corners and finally painted the car a
bright red (red cars always go faster!). The weight of the car, I am told,
is the biggest impact on speed because the car track is gravity feed. I
mortised a notch in the bottom of the car and we glued in pennies, as
necessary, to reach the 5 oz maximum. The glued pennies did not extend
beyond the mortise so the bottom of the car could not catch on anything on
the track. The local Post Office was the official weight in station for the
race. We used powdered graphite (like you use on door locks) to lubricate
the wheel axels. The Pinewood Derby car race was a lot of fun and a good
father-son project. Good luck!

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message
Tom:
It's called the Pinewood Derby and kits are available. Check with the
scoutmaster.

Bob

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
My son, a new Cub Scout, has told me that he wants to participate in a
Cub Scout wooden model car race.

Before I Google this thing within an inch of it's life, I'd like to
ask for the Wisdom Of Those Who Have Gone Before, on the Wreck.

When I asked my wife for the specs, I was told:

"It has to be five ounces."

Hmm.

When I asked my son for the specs, he said:

"What's a spec?"

Sigh...

I was a Boy Scout, but never a Cub Scout. I would like to hear from
the Cognoscenti.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)