Sarge

Get/ borrow a 1/2" drive socket of the proper size (3/4"?) and a good
sized (long) breaker bar. We change these on a regular basis without
much trouble. If its tight, get a helper to hold heater while
applying force to wrench. Don't use teflon tape or pipe dope on
threads of replacement rod to insure good electrical connection. Look
at plumbing supply or Johnstone Supply for replacement rods. HD &
Lowes don't seem to carry them. Guess they would like you to buy a
new heater more often. Also be sure to flush unit well on a annual or
semi-annual basis. This is the key to getting long life from your
heater. If you hear popping and crackling on a gas unit then it needs
severe cleaning. We use muriatic acid diluted 4:1. Let it soak for a
few hours and then flush well through the bottom drain. We also
remove the hokey little boiler drain and replace with a brass nipple
and a ball valve so it can flush much better. Be sure to check
pressure/temp relief valve at least annually. A malfunctioning heater
can remove half your house in seconds. A real potential bomb under
the right conditions. Hope this helps.

On 20 Oct 2004 06:56:09 -0700, (Jay Chan) wrote:

"flexible anode" or "articulated anode"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22flexible+anode%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22articulated+anode%22

Also check the website of the manufacturer of your water heater for
replacment parts; some (e.g., A.O. Smith) sell flexible anodes.

Thanks for the product names and the key words. I will go looking for it.

Jay Chan