Jay Chan

Default How to Tell a Water-Heater Is Dying?

I would like to know how to tell if a water-heater is approaching its
useful life and needs to be replaced soon. I don't want to wait for
its water tank to crack open and flood the basement before I take
action.

I was planning to examine the anode rod in my 4-years old water-heater
with the hope of replacing it periodically in order to extend its
service life. But my basement doesn't have enough head room to extract
the anode rod. Therefore, I am thinking of just waiting for it to die
before I replace the water-heater and all its connecting fittings to
flexible fittings (then I can disconnect them easily for periodic
checking the anode rod). How can I tell when I should replace the
water-heater?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Jay Chan
Robert Barr

If you can pull the anode rod up a few inches, you'll be able to see its
condition.

With just a little clearance, you can replace it. Pull it up, clamp the
base of it at the WH top surface with vice grips (so the rod doesn't
fall into the tank) and cut off the extending anode rod. Pull the
remainder up again, clamp again, and cut. And so on. If the anode rod
is shot, there won't be much material to cut through anyway.

The replacements fold up, and unfold as you insert them. Ingenious
little device made for crawl-space WH's.

Jay Chan wrote:

I was planning to examine the anode rod in my 4-years old water-heater
with the hope of replacing it periodically in order to extend its
service life. But my basement doesn't have enough head room to extract
the anode rod.

Joseph Meehan

Jay Chan wrote:
I would like to know how to tell if a water-heater is approaching its
useful life and needs to be replaced soon. I don't want to wait for
its water tank to crack open and flood the basement before I take
action.

Best bet is to ask your neighbors how long their's have lasted. There
are great differences from one area to another based on the water. Use and
the temperature setting also makes differences.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bob K 207

Best bet is to ask your neighbors how long their's have lasted. There
are great differences from one area to another based on the water. Use and
the temperature setting also makes differences.

I have had my last two water heaters last 17 & 20 years (Santa Ana, CA) Maybe
they're putting corrosion inhibitors in the water.

In Tustin, CA 7 to 10 years is normal.
Jay Chan

If you can pull the anode rod up a few inches, you'll be able to see its
condition.

Thanks for the tip. But the threaded fitting of the anode rod is
totally rusted. I could not get it open with a large correctly-sized
wrench and gentle force. I didn't want to put too much force in case I
may jerk the whole waterheater and crack some other fittings. This is
a part of the reason why I chose not to examine the anode rod (the
other reason is lack of head room).

The replacements fold up, and unfold as you insert them. Ingenious
little device made for crawl-space WH's.

Now, _this_ is a useful piece of information. I thought I would have
to disconnect the waterheater, tilt it sideway before I could replace
the anode rod. Now that I know that I don't need to tilt the
waterheater to replace the anode rod, I think I can do the following
things now:
- Disconnect all the fittings.
- Use brutal force to unscrew the rusted anode rod, and examine it to
see how far it has gone after 4-years of use (this becomes the
benchmark).
- Replace the anode rod with a folding version.
- Cover 3/4 of the threaded area of the folding anode rod with teflon
tape. Hopefully, it will be unscrewed easier next time.
- Replace the rigid fittings with flexible fittings.

When I need to examine the anode rod periodically, I only need to do
this:
- Unscrew the anode rod and take a look and then put it back.

I have one question though:
- What is the folding anode rod called?
- Do you know where I can order it? Our local plumbing supply stores
don't sell any anode rod any more (they want people to replace the
whole waterheater).

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Jay Chan

Jay Chan

Best bet is to ask your neighbors how long their's have lasted. There
are great differences from one area to another based on the water. Use and
the temperature setting also makes differences.

This is a good tip.

Although I have decided to replace the anode rod (following the advice
from another newsgroup member), I may not want to do this right now
when cold winter is approaching. I don't want to screw up my
water-heater when I really need the hot water.

I will ask around to see how long other people waterheaters last. If
they last quite long, this means I don't need to replace the anode rod
right now, and I can wait until next summer. The flip-side is that if
their waterheaters last only 4 years, I will have to take action right
away to make sure our family will have hot water during the winter.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
willshak

Jay Chan wrote:

[...]

Before you do that, spray the fitting with a penetrating oil spray. You
can use WD-40 (which does work somewhat, but it is more of an all
purpose lubricant and water displacer, hence the original meaning of the
name WD). A pure penetrating oil like "Nuts Off", CD2, or any of a dozen
other brands sold in hardware stores will probably be more effective.

- Replace the anode rod with a folding version.
- Cover 3/4 of the threaded area of the folding anode rod with teflon
tape. Hopefully, it will be unscrewed easier next time.
- Replace the rigid fittings with flexible fittings.

When I need to examine the anode rod periodically, I only need to do
this:
- Unscrew the anode rod and take a look and then put it back.

I have one question though:
- What is the folding anode rod called?
- Do you know where I can order it? Our local plumbing supply stores
don't sell any anode rod any more (they want people to replace the
whole waterheater).

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Jay Chan

Erma1ina

Jay Chan wrote:
-SNIP-
I have one question though:
- What is the folding anode rod called?
- Do you know where I can order it? Our local plumbing supply stores
don't sell any anode rod any more (they want people to replace the
whole waterheater).

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Jay Chan

"flexible anode" or "articulated anode"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22flexible+anode%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22articulated+anode%22

Also check the website of the manufacturer of your water heater for
replacment parts; some (e.g., A.O. Smith) sell flexible anodes.
Jay Chan

Before you do that, spray the fitting with a penetrating oil spray. You
can use WD-40 (which does work somewhat, but it is more of an all
purpose lubricant and water displacer, hence the original meaning of the
name WD). A pure penetrating oil like "Nuts Off", CD2, or any of a dozen
other brands sold in hardware stores will probably be more effective.

Thanks. I will try WD-40 first. If it is not good enough, I will get
the pure penetrating oil as you have suggested.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

"flexible anode" or "articulated anode"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22flexible+anode%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22articulated+anode%22

Also check the website of the manufacturer of your water heater for
replacment parts; some (e.g., A.O. Smith) sell flexible anodes.

Thanks for the product names and the key words. I will go looking for it.

Jay Chan

Sarge

Get/ borrow a 1/2" drive socket of the proper size (3/4"?) and a good
sized (long) breaker bar. We change these on a regular basis without
much trouble. If its tight, get a helper to hold heater while
applying force to wrench. Don't use teflon tape or pipe dope on
threads of replacement rod to insure good electrical connection. Look
at plumbing supply or Johnstone Supply for replacement rods. HD &
Lowes don't seem to carry them. Guess they would like you to buy a
new heater more often. Also be sure to flush unit well on a annual or
semi-annual basis. This is the key to getting long life from your
heater. If you hear popping and crackling on a gas unit then it needs
severe cleaning. We use muriatic acid diluted 4:1. Let it soak for a
few hours and then flush well through the bottom drain. We also
remove the hokey little boiler drain and replace with a brass nipple
and a ball valve so it can flush much better. Be sure to check
pressure/temp relief valve at least annually. A malfunctioning heater
can remove half your house in seconds. A real potential bomb under
the right conditions. Hope this helps.

On 20 Oct 2004 06:56:09 -0700, (Jay Chan) wrote:

"flexible anode" or "articulated anode"

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22flexible+anode%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22articulated+anode%22

Also check the website of the manufacturer of your water heater for
replacment parts; some (e.g., A.O. Smith) sell flexible anodes.

Thanks for the product names and the key words. I will go looking for it.

Jay Chan

Jay Chan

Get/ borrow a 1/2" drive socket of the proper size (3/4"?) and a good
sized (long) breaker bar. We change these on a regular basis without
much trouble. If its tight, get a helper to hold heater while
applying force to wrench.

Actually, I have a suitable wrench that is good for that. I just don't
want to put too much force because all the connections are rigid
connection, not the flexible kind.

Don't use teflon tape or pipe dope on threads of replacement rod to
insure good electrical connection.

I will only wrap 3/4 of the threaded area, and leave 1/4 to have solid
metal to metal contact.

Look at plumbing supply or Johnstone Supply for replacement rods. HD &
Lowes don't seem to carry them. Guess they would like you to buy a
new heater more often.

Thanks for the store name. I will check it out. I have checked
HomeDepot and they don't carry any anode rod. Other local plumbing
supply stores also don't carry any anode rod. The salesman claimed
that this is too difficult to check the anode rod (not enough headroom
in a typical basement); therefore, he claimed that most people simply
replace the whole waterheater. I don't believe this.

Also be sure to flush unit well on a annual or
semi-annual basis. This is the key to getting long life from your
heater. If you hear popping and crackling on a gas unit then it needs
severe cleaning. We use muriatic acid diluted 4:1. Let it soak for a
few hours and then flush well through the bottom drain. We also
remove the hokey little boiler drain and replace with a brass nipple
and a ball valve so it can flush much better.

I doubt I will put acid into my waterheater. If I need to do this, I
will tilt it at 45-degree to drain the last bits of stuffs from the
bottom of the waterheater. Luckily, I don't need to do so.

Be sure to check pressure/temp relief valve at least annually.
A malfunctioning heater can remove half your house in seconds.
A real potential bomb under the right conditions.

The problem is that the old relief valve in my waterheater could open
but could not be close completely after it had been opened. This seems
to be a very common problem. My house inspector asked me not to touch
it; but I had to exercise it in order to check if it works or not.
Good thing this is relatively easy to replace the relief valve.

Thanks for the info.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

Thanks everyone who has replied to this thread. Based on the
suggestions here, I have formulate this plan:

I have asked my neighbors. Seem like the waterheaters around here last
a long time (something like 10 years). This means I don't need to be
in a hurry to check the anode rod. I can afford to wait until the
coming summer when we don't expect to use hot water that often.

Meanwhile, I will do these:

- Use a union-joint to extend the drip pipe from the relief valve to
no more than 6" above the floor. That union-joint can be taken down in
case I need to replace the relief valve.

- Add a flood-alarm near the bottom of the waterheater ... just in
case the waterheater cannot wait for the summer.

In the summer next year, I will do these:

- Replace the ball-valve in the cold water supply that cannot
completely shut off. Seem like the plumbler used too much heat when he
soldered the ball-valve to the copper pipe that melted the plastic
seal inside the ball valve. I will replace it with a ball-valve that
uses compression fitting.

- Replace the rigid connections at the water pipes and gas pipe with
flexible connections.

- Examine the anode rod by pulling it out as much as the headroom
allows. I probably need to use WD-40 to loosen the rusted connection.

- Replace the anode rod with a flexible version if the anode rod is
almost a goner. Preferably a magnesium version. I will contact the
manufacturer of the waterheater to see if they sell it. Wrap 3/4 of
the threaded area of the anode rod with teflon tape to ease removing
it next time when I need to unscrew it.

Thanks again for helping me to come up with an action plan to deal
with my 4-years old waterheater.

Jay Chan