Charles Spitzer

"Ken Muldrew" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote:

"Ken Muldrew" wrote in message

I still don't understand how a steel razor blade dulls so quickly
cutting hair. The difference in hardness is enormous and yet somehow
the razor's edge deteriorates.

Have you noticed that a carbide tipped blade is harder than wood and it
also
dulls?

Yes, and I find that confusing as well. Although wood can have a lot
more inclusions of hard minerals than beard (or so I would guess). I
have a piece of desert ironwood that works as sandpaper.

The hardness is enormous at the back of the blade but at the cutting
edge you can make it flex by simply rubbing you thumb nail against it.
The
micro thin edge is very thin and simply wears away.

That's the part that I don't understand. Why does it wear away. The
hair should wear before the steel.

then why does water erode granite cliffs?

When I sharpen my
chisels I get a wire edge that is more flexible than aluminum foil.

The wire edge is mostly separate from the blade. That it is more
flexible than a hair (if it is) does not explain why a hair will take
a chunk out of the steel.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)